Unfortunately, today one out of three children is affected by childhood obesity. Activity must be a daily commitment from both kids and parents. Sometimes it’s a struggle. Sometimes kids are tired. Sometimes parents are tired. In the end, it’s one of the most important things you can do with your kids. Get them active and set them up for a lifetime of health and WELLNESS.
Here are some winter-friendly ideas to get you started:
- Keep an eye open for free events such as open gyms to try new indoor activities free!
- Make a splash in the pool! Call the Parks & Recreation Department at 608-742-2178 for Portage Community Pool rates and times.
- Bundle up and take advantage of the chilly Wisconsin winters! Sledding includes lots of hill climbing and walking and requires minimal equipment!
- Ice-skating or boot hockey can be fun ways to take advantage of the frozen waters! Just make sure an adult is along to supervise!
- If you want to stay indoors, make an obstacle course in your garage, basement or living room. Include activities like jump rope and jumping jacks to get your blood pumping
- Put on your favorite songs and have a dance party! Try this fun dance video and others in its series.
Check back for more indoor activities soon!
Source: Obesity Action Coalition, Just Dance Kids 2