The Portage Community School District Services include:
- population screenings - vision, hearing, blood pressure
- health education and promotion throughout the district
- oversee the administration of medications by school staff throughout the district
- creation and coordination with students, parents and staff regarding individual and emergency health plans
- provision of referrals to community agencies
- development and maintenance of nursing and health related policies and procedures for our district
- participation in IEP, 504 and Student Intervention Team meetings
- participation in the District Wellness, Safety and Pupil Services Leadership Committees
- provision of staff development related to health needs of students and communicable diseases
- participation in select community committee and advisory groups
- enforcement of the student immunization law requirements
- collaboration with the local health departments in communicable disease control and intervention
- collaboration with community partners for the provision of prevention programs and health lessons
Our registered nurses are:
Valerie Hon, BS, RN, NCSN
Mrs. Hon, RN, District Nurse, works primarily with the elementary and preschool students as well as nursing services programming.
Office hours for Mrs. Hon are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. She will travel between buildings.
She may be reached at 608/742-4867, extension 4131.
Suzanne Van Hoof , BSN, RN
Mrs. Van Hoof, RN is the School Nurse working with the middle and high school level students.
Office hours for Ms. Van Hoof are Monday through Friday, 8-3:30 p.m. She will travel between buildings; typically at the middle school in the morning and high school in the afternoon. Some days she will be at the Portage Academy of Achievement.
She may be reached at 608/742-2165, extension 7008 at the Middle School or 608/742-8545, extension 1156 at the High School.